Biography of Emil Redlich
Redlich studied at Vienna and received his doctorate there in 1889. During his hospital service as secondary physician at the Wiener Allgemeines Krankenhaus, and as house physician in the Städtisches Versorgungshaus, he was eagerly engaged in work on the anatomy of the brain at Heinrich Obersteiner’s institute. This work earned him his habilitaten for neurology in 1894, before he became assistant at the psychiatric-neurological clinic of Julius Wagner-Jauregg (1857-1940) in 1895. From 1898 to 1906 he was head of the private lunatic asylum in Inzerdorf near Vienna. He became titular professor in 1900, ausserordentlicher professor in 1913, and titular ordentlicher professor in 1922. In 1914 he was made director of the Nervenheilanstalt Maria-Theresia-Schlössel in Vienna. He died in Vienna in 1930. Redlich and Obersteiner proposed that tabetic degeneration of the posterior columns begins in the posterior roots.