William Edward Hunt
Biography of William Edward Hunt
William Edward Hunt, the son of William Willard Hunt and Marian Almina Lerch, was the fifth physician in four generations of his family. He received his medical degree from The Ohio State University in 1945. He interned at Philadelphia General Hospital and then spent two years in the army. He then trained in general surgery at White Cross Hospital in Columbus before entering the neurosurgical training program in St. Louis, at Barnes Hospital of Washington University, under H. G. Schwartz. Following his residency, he served a year as an Instructor at Washington University.
From 1953 Hunt was Director of the Division of Neurological Surgery at The Ohio State University, working with Dr. Harry E. LeFever, whom he succeeded as director in 1963. He was appointed full professor in 1964. From 1973 to 1988, he was Principal Investigator and Director of the Spinal Cord Injury Research Center at Ohio State University. From 1968 to 1974 he served on the American Board of Neurological Surgery.