Biography of Leopold Arzt
Leopold Arzt attended the University of Vienna and received his doctorate in 1908. He worked in the pathological institute and the surgical clinic and was an assistant in the dermatological clinic under Gustav Riehl (1855-1943). In 1915 he was habilitated for skin and venereal diseases, becoming titular professor in 1923. In 1926 he was appointed ordentlicher professor at Innsbruck, and later that year at Vienna, where he was director of the university clinic for skin- and venereal disease. He was Schriftleiter of the Wiener klinische Wochenschrift.
Leopold Arzt was among the many who suffered during the Nazi regime in Austria. When the two university clinics were joined in 1939, Arzt and his colleague, Professor Wilhelm Kerl, were dismissed. During the subsequent war years the clinic for skin- and venereal diseases was headed by professor Herbert Fuhs (1891-1960). After the war Leopold Arzt and Wilhelm Kerl were reinstated and the clinic separated once more. Wilhelm Kerl (born 1880) died already in May 1945. On December 7, 1948, Leopold Arzt was elected president of honour of the Österreichische Gesellschaft für Dermatologie.
- Über den derzeitigen Stand der Syphilisforschung und –behandlung.
- Frühdiagnose und Frühtherapie der Syphilis. Vienna, 1923.
- Röntgen-Hauttherapie. With Herbert Fuhs. Vienna and Berlin, 1925.
- Die Mikrosporie. With Herbert Fuhs.
In: Handbuch der Haut- und Geschlechtskrankheiten, volume 11, Berlin, 1928.
- Hauterkrankungen bei Leukosen und Leukoblastomen sowie verwandten Zuständen. With Herbert Fuhs.
In: Handbuch der Haut- und Geschlechtskrankheiten, volume 8, Berlin, 1929.
- Josef Tappeiner (1909-1996) and Leopold Arzt:
Atlas der Haut- und Geschlechtskrankheiten. 2 volumes, 1950 and 1953.