Giovanni Battista Monteggia
Italian physician and surgeon, born August 8, 1762, Lavenea at Lago Maggiore; died January 17, 1815.
Biography of Giovanni Battista Monteggia
Giovanni Battista Monteggia at the age of 17 became an apprentice in surgery at the Great Hospital in Milano and from 1790 was surgical assistant and prosector of anatomy from 1791 prison physician, from 1795 professor of anatomy and surgery and, eventually, surgeon (Wundarzt) at the mentioned hospital. His work on surgery was highly praised by Antonio Scarpa (1752-1832). He acquired syphilis by cutting himself at autopsy.
- Instituzioni di chirurgica. Milano, 1802.
- Fasciculi pathologici. Milano, 1789.
- Annotazioni pratiche sopra i mali venerei. Milano, 1794.
- Discorso intorno allo studio della chirurgica. Milano, 1800.
- Sull’ uso della salsaparaglia. Milano, 1806.