- A dictionary of medical eponyms

Eisenmenger's syndrome (Victor Eisenmenger)

Related people

A congenital, progressive cardiac failure usually due to the Eisenmenger complex, a ventricular septal defect. It comprises a congenital intra-cardiac systemic pulmonary communication with a reversal of the left-to-right shunt resulting from severe pulmonary hypertension. People with Eisenmenger's syndrome are usually born with a large hole in the heart.

Victor Eisenmenger in 1897 described a 32-year-old man with a large ventricular septal defect.

The term Eisenmenger's syndrome was introduced in 1958 by Paul Hamilton Wood (1907-1962).

We thank Martin Lehn and Fred Wu for information submitted.


  • V. Eisenmenger:
    Die angeborenen Defekte der Kammerscheidewände des Herzens.
    Zeitschrift für klinische Medizin, 1897, 32 (Supplement): 1-28.
  • M. E. Abbott:
    Atlas of congenital cardiac disease.
    American Heart Association, N.Y, 1936.
  • P. Wood:
    The Eisenmenger syndrome or pulmonary hypertension with reversed central shunt.
    British Medical Journal, 1958, 2: 701-709, 755-762.
  • P. Wood:
    Pulmonary hypertension with special reference to the vasoconstrictive factor.
    British Heart Journal, October 1958, 20: 557-570.

What is an eponym?

An eponym is a word derived from the name of a person, whether real or fictional. A medical eponym is thus any word related to medicine, whose name is derived from a person.

What is Whonamedit?

Whonamedit.com is a biographical dictionary of medical eponyms. It is our ambition to present a complete survey of all medical phenomena named for a person, with a biography of that person.


Whonamedit? does not give medical advice.
This survey of medical eponyms and the persons behind them is meant as a general interest site only. No information found here must under any circumstances be used for medical purposes, diagnostically, therapeutically or otherwise. If you, or anybody close to you, is affected, or believe to be affected, by any condition mentioned here: see a doctor.