The large flattened sensory ganglion of the trigeminal nerve. It is an intercranial structure which is located just proximal and lateral to the foramen ovale and has three branches: the ophthalmic, maxillary and mandibular.
The sensory ganglion of the trigeminal nerve was described in 1765 by Antonius Hirsh in his dissertation for the medical graduation. Hirsch named the ganglion for the honour of his teacher, Johann Lorenz Gasser.
- Anton Balthasar Raymund Hirsch:
Pars quinti encephali disquisitio anatomica. Vienna, 1765.
Also published in Christian Friedrich Ludwig (1751-1823): Scriptores neurologici minores selecti, sive opera minora ad anatomiam, physiologiam et pathologiam nervorum spectantia. Volume 1, pp. 244-162. Leipzig, 1791. This work appeared in six volumes between 1791 and 1795.