Howard Christian Naffziger - bibliography
American neurosurgeon, born 1884, Nevada City, California; died 1961.
- Methods to secure end-to-end suture of peripheral nerves.
Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Chicago, 1921, 32: 193-204.
- Spinal cord tumors (arachnoid fibroblastomata).
Surgical Clinics of North America, Philadelphia, 1922, 2: 363-400.
- Head injuries: Indications for surgical treatment.
Surgical Clinics of North America, Philadelphia, 1923, 3: 699-710.
- A method for the localization of brain tumors: The pineal shift.
Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Chicago, 1925, 40: 481-484.
- Brain surgery with special reference to exposures of the brain stem and posterior fossa: The principle of intracranial decompression and the relief of impactions in the posterior fossa.
Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Chicago, 1928, 46: 241-248.
Naffziger's art of surgery is nowhere better displayed than in this beautifully illustrated paper on cerebellar exposures. An occipital flap serves as a supratentorial approach to the cerebellopontine angle through a tentorial incision that extends to the petrous bone anteriorly, to the sinus rectus medially, and to the lateral sinus. His experience with this approach went back to 1923, when he biopsied an exophytic glioma. The subtemporal transtentorial approach is still used by some neurosurgeons for the removal of large meningiomas of the cerebellopontine angle. Also illustrated are the entirely straight midline incision without lateral offsets at the nuchal line, and the hockey-stick incision for unilateral cerebellar exposure.
- Progressive exophthalmos following thyroidectomy: Its pathology and treatment.
Annals of Surgery, Philadelphia, 1931, 94: 582-586.
- Progressive exophthalmos following thyroidectomy: Its pathology and treatment. Report of 8 cases. Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Chicago, 1932, 54: 81-87.
- Content of courses for adequate training in neurological surgery.
Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, 1939, 24: 46-48.
- Report of the activities of the Subcommittee on Neurological Surgery of the Medical Research Council.
Transactions of the American Neurological Association, New York, 1943, 69: 28-31.
- Progressive exophthalmos. Hunterian Lecture.
Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, London, 1954, 15: 1-24.
- Regenerative capacities of nerves and muscle. Experimental study of factors causing faulty recovery of the neurovascular mechanism.
Written with R. B. Aird. Journal of the Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, 1942, 9: 679-685.
- The postgraduate training of students in surgery at the University of California.
Written with H. G. Bell. Western Journal of Surgery, Seattle, Washington, 1932, 40: 384-389.
- R. Wartenberg:
Howard Christian Naffziger zum 70. Geburtstag.
Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift, Stuttgart, 1954, 79: 792.