Thomas Bateman - bibliography
English dermatologist, born April 29, 1778, Whitby, Yorkshire; died April 9, 1821, Whitby, Yorkshire.
- Haemorrhoea Petechialis.
Doctoral dissertation, University of Edinburgh, 1801.
- A Practical Synopsis of Cutaneous Diseases, According to the arrangement of Dr. Willan. London 1813.
The most influential textbook of dermatology in the 19th century, and the work which conveyed Willan's system to most of the medical world.
- Delineations of Cutaneous Disease Exhibiting the Characteristic Appearances of the Principal Genera and Species Comprised in the Classification of the Late Dr. Willan; and completing the Series of Engravings Begun by that Author.
London, Longman, 1817.
This publication was particularly important because it contained descriptions of herpes iris (now known as erythema multiforme) and eczema due to external irritation. It also contained descriptions of molluscum contagiosum.
The book is notable for its 72 coloured plates. Strictly speaking it is the first atlas of dermatology, as Willan's work falls more into the category of illustrated treatise. The book includes numerous original contributions by Bateman. Originally issued in 12 fasciculi from 1814-1817. Unchanged reprint 1828.
- A Succinct Account of the Contagious Fever of this Country Exemplified in the Epidemic Now Prevailing in London; with Observations on the Nature and Properties of Contagion. London 1818.
- James Rumsey:
Some Account of the Life and Character of the Late Thomas Bateman, MD, FLS, Physician to the Public Dispensary and to the Fever Institution in London.
London, printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green 1827. 231 pages.
James Rumsey (1778-1856), Amersham physician, was Bateman's brother-in-law.
- August Hirsch (1817-1894), publisher:
Biographisches Lexikon der hervorragenden Ärzte aller Zeiten und Völker.
2nd edition. Berlin, Urban & Schwarzenberg, 1929.
First published in 6 volumes 1884-1888. 3rd edition, München 1962.
- Jeremy M. Norman, editor:
Morton’s Medical Bibliography. An annotated Check-list of Texts Illustrating the History of Medicine (Garrison and Morton).
Fifth edition. Scolar Press, 1991.