John Fothergill - bibliography
English physician and naturalist, born March 8, 1712, Carr End, near Bainbridge, Wensleydale, Yorkshire; died December 26, 1780, Harpur Street, London.
- An Account of the Sore Throat Attended with Ulcers.
London, C. Davis, 1748, 1754. Reprinted in Medical Classics, 1940, 5: 58-99.
- Of a painful affection of the face.
Medical Observations and Inquiries by a Society of Physicians in London, 1773, 5: 129-142.
Reprinted in Medical Classics, 1940, 5: 100-106.
- Remarks on that complaint commonly known under the name of the sick head-ach.
Medical Observations and Inquiries by a Society of Physicians in London, 1777-1784, 6: 103-137.
- Observations on the weather and diseases of London.
In his Works . London, 1783, 1: 145-240.
Between 1751 and 1754 Fothergill anonymously published observations on the weather and diseases of London in the Gentleman's Magazine.
- Rules for the preservation of health : containing all that has been recommended by the most eminent physicians. London : printed for M. Thrush, 1762.
This work was published under John Fothergill's name, but he was not the author. It was compiled by an unscrupulous bookseller from works by other authors. Biograhical:
- August Hirsch, publisher:
Biographisches Lexikon der hervorragenden Ärzte aller Zeiten und Völker.
Urban & Schwarzenberg. 2nd edition. Berlin, 1929. Volume 2: 575-176.
First published in 6 volumes 1884-1888. 3rd edition, München 1962.
- Barry G. Firkin and Judith A. Whitworth:
Dictionary of Medical Eponyms.
The Parthenon Publishing Group. 1989. New edition in 2002.
- Jeremy M. Norman, editor:
Morton’s Medical Bibliography.
An annotated Check-list of Texts Illustrating the History of Medicine (Garrison and Morton). Fifth edition. Scolar Press, 1991.
- G. S. Plaut:
Dr John Fothergill and eighteenth-century medicine.
Journal of Medical Biography, London, 1999, 7 (4): 192-196.
- J. M. S. Pearce:
Trigeminal neuralgia (Fothergill’s disease) in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, London 2003, 74: 1688.
- Margaret DeLacy:
Fothergill, John (1712-1780), physician and naturalist.
In: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press, 2004.