Francis Sibson - bibliography
English surgeon, born May 21, 1814, Cross-Canonby, Cumberland (now Cumbria); died September 7, 1876, Geneva, Switzerland.
- A Flexible Stethoscope. Medical Gazette, 1840.
- On the position of the internal organs in health and disease.
Provincial Medical and Surgical Journal and Retrospect of the of the Medical Sciences, London, 1844.
- On the mechanism of respiration.
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, 1846.
- On pericarditis. London Journal of Medicine, 1849.
- On the falling in of the chest during inspiration in some diseases of the chest. Address red to the Westminster Medical Society, 1849.
- Causes which excite the respiration in health and disease.
Transactions of the Provincial Medical and Surgical Association, London, 1851.
- Medical anatomy, or, illustrations of the relative poristions and movements of the internal organs.
7 parts, London, J. Churchill, 1854-1869.
This highly merited work was the result of enormous labour and research.
- On treatment of acute rheumatism and gout by rest.
Lecture at the meeting of the British Medical Association in Newcastle in July (or June?) 1870.
- Lectures on the influence of distention of the abdomen on the heart and lungs.
The British Medical Journal, London, 1873.
- Collected works. Edited by W. M. Ord., London, 1881.
- J. R. Malby:
Francis Sibson, 1814-1876. Pioneer and prophet in anaesthesia.
Anaesthesia, January 1977, 32 (1): 53-62.
- J. E. Hughes:
Francis Sibson. The Medical Journal of Australia, April 9, 1977, 1 (15):m545-546.
- Sibson, Francis (1814-1876).
(Royal College of Physicians, home page.