Joel Asaph Allen - bibliography
American naturalist, Born July 19, 1838, Springfield, Massachusetts; died August 29, 1921.
- On the Mammals and Winter Birds of East Florida, with an Examination of Certain Assumed Specific Characters in Birds, and a Sketch of the Bird Faunae of Eastern North America.
Bulletin of Museum of Comparative Zoology, Cambridge, 1871, 2: 161-450.
- The Fauna of the Prairies.
The American Naturalist, Salem, Massachusetts, 1871, 5: 4-9.
- The American Bison, Living and Extinct.
Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, 1876, 4 (10).
- On Geographical Variation in Color among North American Squirrels. 1874.
- Notes on the Mammals of Portions of Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. 1874.
- Geographical Variation in North American Birds. 1874.
- Notes on the Natural History of Portions of Montana and Dakota. 1875.
- The Influence of Physical Conditions in the Genesis of Species.
Radical Review, 1877, 1:108-140.
- The Geographical Distribution of the Mammalia, Considered in Relation to the Principal Ontological Regions of the Earth, and the Laws that Govern the Distribution of Animal Life. III. General Summary. 1878.
- History of North American Pinnipeds, a Monograph of the Walruses, Sea Lions, Sea Bears, and Seals of North America.
Washington, Government Printing Office, 1880.
- Preliminary List of Works and Papers Relating to the Mammalian Orders Cete and Sirenia.
U. S. Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories, 1881, VI: 3. Reprinted 1977.
- The geographical distribution of North American mammals.
Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History, 1892, 4: 199-243.
- Primary Factors of Evolution. 1896.
- J. A. Allen and Elliot Coues:
Monographs of North American Rodentia. In F. V. Hayden (author): Report of the United States Geological Survey of the Territories. Washington, Department of the Interior, Government Printing Office. Volume XI, 1877.
- Frank J. Sulloway:
Joel Asaph Allen. Dictionary of Scientific Biography, 1990, 17: 20-23.