George Crile - bibliography
American surgeon, born November 11, 1864, near Chili, Ohio; died January 7, 1943.
- An Experimental Research into Surgical Shock.
Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1899. His first book.
- An Experimental and Clinical Research into Certain Problems Relating to Surgical Operations. Philadelphia, 1901. Contains: "On the Physiological Action of Cocain and Eucain when Injected into Tissues"; pp 88-163 (anaesthetic blocking og nerve trunks).
- Blood Pressure in Surgery. An experimental and Clinical Research.
The Cartwright prize essay for 1903.
Philadelphia and London, J. B. Lippincott, 1903.
- Hemorrhage and Transfusion.
New York, D. Appleton & Co, and London, 1909.
- Phylogenetic Association in Relation to Certain Medical Problems. Boston, 1910.
- The kinetic theory of shock and its prevention through anoci-association (shockless operation). Lancet, 1913, 2: 7-16.
- Anemia and Resuscitation. New York and London, 1914.
- Anoci-association. With William E. Lower.
Philadelphia and London, 1914; 2nd edition, 1920.
- The Origin and Nature of the Emotions. Philadelphia and London, 1915.
- A Mechanistic View of War and Peace. New York, 1915.
- Man, an Adaptive Mechanism. New York, 1916.
- The Kinetic Drive. Philadelphia and London, 1916.
- A Physical Interpretation of Shock, Exhaustion, and Restoration. London, 1921.
- Bipolar Theory of Living Processes. New York, 1925.
- Problems in Surgery. Philadelphia and London, 1928.
- Diseases Peculiar to Civilized Man. 1934.
- Phenomena of Life. 1936.
- Intelligence, Power, and Personality. 1941.
- George Crile. An Autobiography. Edited By Grace Crile.
2 volumes. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1947.
- P. C. English:
Shock, Physiological Surgery, and George Washington Crile: Medical Innovation in the Progressive Era.
Westport, Connecticut, and London: Greenwood Press, 1980.
- lRobert E. Hermann:
George Washington Crile (1864-1943).
Journal of Medical Biography, May 1994, 2: 78-83.