Robert William Smith - bibliography
Irish surgeon, born October 12, 1807, Dublin; died October 28, 1873.
- Contributions to the Pathological Anatomy of the Heart and Great Vessels.
Dublin Medical Journal, 1836.
- Essay on Congenital Luxations of the Shoulder. Dublin Medical Journal, 1839.
- On Congenital Luxations of the Lower Jaw. Dublin Medical Journal, 1842.
- A Treatise on Fractures in the Vicinity of Joints and on Certain Forms of Accidental and Congenital Dislocations.
Dublin, 1847; Dublin and New York, 1854; Philadelphia, 1850.
The first important work on fractures by an Irish author. It includes the description of Smith's fracture. In his chapter "On fractures of the bones of the forearm in the vicinity of the wrist joint" Smith corrected Colles's original description by placing the site of the fracture more distally. It was Smith who firmly attached Colles's eponym to the fracture that Colles described.
- A Treatise on the Pathology, Diagnosis and Treatment of Neuroma.
Dublin, Hodges & Smith, 1849.
This book was said to be so large that it was larger than an ordinary sized dinning-room table when opened up.
Includes a full description of generalised neurofibromatosis – Recklinghausen's disease.
- Injuries of lower end of humerus. Dublin Medical Journal, 1850.
- Luxations backwards of the tibia at the ankle. Dublin Medical Journal, 1857.
- Chronic rheumatic arthritis of the shoulder. 1858.