Adam Politzer - bibliography
Austrian otologist, born October 1, 1835, Alberti, Hungary; died August 10, 1920, Vienna.
- Die Beleuchtungsbilder des Trommelfells im gesunden und kranken Zustande.
Wien, W. Braumüller, 1865. English translation, New York, 1869.
This work laid the foundation for the classification and clinical diagnosis of aural diseases on a modern basis. Inspection of the tympanic membrane was a new diagnostic concept endorsed by Politzer whose intent was to create a teaching tool for the general practitioner in the diagnosis of ear disease. Politzer made the sketches himself, being a master of the brush and ink. The artist Carl Heitzmann then drew the chromolithographs. The book showed Politzer to be a complete clinician who made contemporary morphological as well as experimental methods subservient to the goals of otology.
- Zehn Wandtafeln zur Anatomie des Gehörorgans. Wien, 1873.
- Lehrbuch der Ohrenheilkunde.
Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1878, 1882, 1893, 1902, 1908.
English translation: Diseases of the ear and adjacent organs. Philadelphia, Henry C. Lea's Son & Co., 1883.
This work became the most outstanding textbook of the ear in the 19th and 20th centuries. Its scope and content made it a historical document even in its own time. Today we note that basic material in anatomy and physiology are still relevant and useful. At the time of publication it was praised for its uniformity, conciseness, and harmonious treatment of the subject. It contained numerous illustrations along with an excellent bibliography.
- Die anatomische und histologische Zergliederung des menschlichen Gehörorgans im normalen und kranken Zustande. Wien, 1889.
- On a peculiar affection of the labyrinthine capsule as a frequent cause of deafness.
Transactions of the 1st Pan-American medical Congress (1893), 1895, pt. 3: 1607–1608.
First report of otosclerosis as a separate clinical entity.
- Atlas der Beleuchtungsbilder des Trommelfells. Wien, 1899.
- Geschichte der Ohrenheilkunde. 2 volumes. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1907 and 1913.
Reprinted in Hildesheim, 1967. English translation of volume 1, Phoenix, Columnella Press, 1981.
- Atlas und Grundriss der Ohrenheilkunde. Unter Mitwirkung von A. Politzer herausgegeben von Gustav Brühl. München, 1901. Volume 24 of Lehmanns Medizinische Handatlanten.