Sir William Richard Gowers - bibliography
- Gowers' panatrophy
- Gowers' phenomenon
- Gowers' ptosis
- Gowers' sign
- Gowers' solution
- Gowers' syndrome II
- Gowers' syndrome III
- Gowers' tract
- Gowers-Welander syndrome
- Kennedy's syndrome
British neurologist, born March 20, 1845, London; died May 4, 1915, London.
- Athetosis and posthemiplegic disorders of movement.
Medico-Chirurgical Transactions, London, 1876.
- The state of the arteries in Bright's disease.
British Medical Journal, London, 1876, 2: 743-745.
Reproduced in Willius & Keys. Cardiac Classics, 1941, pp. 605-611.
- The changes in the nerve centres in hydrophobia.
Pathological Transactions, 1877.
- Manual and Atlas of Medical Ophthalmoscopy.
London, 1879; 2nd edition, 1882.
- Syphilitic neuroses. British Medical Journal, London, 1879.
- Pseudohypertrophic muscular paralysis. 1879.
- An apparatus for the clinical estimation of haemoglobin.
Transactions of the Clinical Society of London, 1879, 12: 64-67.
Gowers introduced the acalorimetric method of estimating haemoglobin and devised a haemoglobinometer for the pupose. This was modified by John Scott Haldane (1860-1936). Previously the German physician Ernst Felix Immanuel Hoppe-Seyler (1825-1895) had used a haematinometer.
- The diagnosis of diseases of the spinal cord etc.
London, J. & A. Churchill, 1880, 3rd edition, 1883; translated into French and Russian.
- Epilepsy and other chronic convulsive diseases; their cause etc.
London, J. &. A. Churchill, 1881; translated into French.
- Syphilitic diseases of the nervous system (Hill and Cooper's Syphilis).
- Hypertrophy. In Sir John Russel Reynolds ( 1828-1896), publisher: System of Medicine. 1871.
- Dilatation and fatty degernation of the heart.
In Reynold's System of medicine.
- Leucocythaemia. In Reynold's System of medicine.
- Diseases of the walls of the heart. In Reynold's System of medicine.
- Hodkin's disease. In Reynold's System of medicine.
- Lectures on the diagnosis of disease of the brain.
London, J. & A. Churchill, 1885.
- A Manual of Diseases of the Nervous System.
2 volumes. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1886-1888.
German edition by Karl Grube: Handbuch der Nervenkrankheiten. 2 volumes (XI + 612 pages and VIII + 578 pages), Bonn, 1892.
- A case of tumor of the spinal cord. Removal; recovery.
With Sir Victor Horsley (1857-1916).
Medico-Chirurgical Transactions, London, 1888, 71: 377-430.
Records the first successful operation for the removal of an extramedullary tumour of the spinal cord.
- Syphilitic diseases of the nervous system. 1890.
- Epilepsie. German edition by M. Weiss. Leipzig/Wien, 1902. X + 336 pages.
- Paralysis agitans.
For Thomas Clifford Allbutt (1836-1925), Sir Humphrey Davy Rolleston (1862-1944): The System of Medicine, 11 volumes, London 1905-1911.
- Subjective sensations of sight and sound, abiotrophy and other lectures.
- The border-land of epilepsy. Faints, vagal, attacks, vertigo, migraine, sleep symptoms, and their treatment.
London, J. &. A. Churchill, 1907. Gowers published the 8th edition of Quain's Anatomy of the brain and of the spinal cord.
- MacDonald Critchley:
Sir William Gower, 1845-1915. A Biographical Appreciation.
London, William Heinemann, 1949. Contains complete bibliography.