William Stokes - bibliography
Irish physician, born October 1, 1804, Dublin; died January 10, 1878, Howth, near Dublin.
- De ascite. Doctoral dissertation. Edinburgh, 1825.
- A Treatise on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Diseases of the Chest. Part 1. Diseases of the lung and windpipe.
Dublin, Hodges and Smith, 1837, 1839. Philadelphia, A. Waldie, 1837, 1844.
German translation by Gerhard von dem Busch (1791-1868), Bremen, 1838; Leipzig, 1844.
- The Diseases of the Heart and Aorta.
Dublin, Hodges & Smith, 1854. Philadelphia, 1854, 1855. Italian, Torino, 1857.
Cheyne-Stokes respiration is described on pages 320-327.
The first description of paroxysmal tachycardia is on page 161.
French translation, by Sénac, Paris, 1864.
German by Joseph von Lindwurm (1824-1874): Handbuch der Krankheiten des Herzens und der Aorta. Würzburg, 1855 (54?).
- Lectures on fever. London, 1874; Philadelphia, 1876.
- An Introduction to the Use of the Stethoscope, with its application to the Diagnosis in Diseases of Thoracic Viscera.
The Lancet, London, 1825: 471-475.
Edinburgh, Maclachlan & Stewart, 1825.
London, Baldwin & Co., 1825.
- Clinical Reports of the Medical Cases in the Meath Hospital.
With Robert J. Graves. Edinburgh, 1827.
- Lectures on the Theory and Practice of Physic. Philadelphia, 1837.
American edition of a paper first published in the Dublin Journal of Medical and Chemical Sciences. 2nd edition, Edinburgh, 1838. New American edition with numerous remarks and 12 new lectures by John Bell, Philadelphia, 1840; German translation, Leipzig, 1835, 1839.
- Researches on the State of the Aorta and the Use of Wine in Typhus Fever.
Dublin, 1839; Philadelphia, 1839.