Biography of Karel Maydl
Karel Maydl studied medicine in Prague, where he received his doctorate in 1876 and became an apprentice in surgery with Karl Wilhelm Ritter von Heine (1838-1877). During the Bosnian occupation he made the acquaintance of the surgeon Eduard Albert (1841-1900), with whom he was subsequently assistant in Innsbruck and Vienna.
He was habilitated for surgery at the University of Vienna in 1883, and in 1886 became extraordinary professor as well as head of the surgical department of the Wien allgemeine Poliklinik. In 1891 he was called to the Czech university in Prague as professor of surgery. Maydl exerted a major influence on surgery in Czechoslovakia.
- Über den Darmkrebs. Vienna, 1883.
- Zur Technik der Kolotomie.
Centralblatt für Chirurgie, Leipzig, 1888, 15: 433-439.
First successful colostomy.
- Über den gegenwärtigen Stand der Darmchirurgie.
Klinische Zeit- und Streitfragen, Vienna, 1888.
- Über Echinokokkus der Pleura. Vienna, 1891.
- Über subphrenische Abscesse. Vienna, 1894.
- Die Lehre von den Unterleibsbrüchen. Wien, Stefan, 1898.