Luigi Maria Concato
Biography of Luigi Maria Concato
The son of poor parents, Luigi Maria Concato struggled in deep deprivation and misery to be able to complete his studies. He was conferred doctor of medicine in Padua on August 6, 1848, and in 1850 became an assistant of anatomy and physiology. In September 1855 he went to Vienna where he attended the medical, surgical, and obstetrical clinic and studied pathological anatomy under Josef Skoda (1805-1881), Johann von Oppolzer (1808-1871), Franz Schuh (1804-1865), and Karl von Rokitansky (1804-1878). In 1857 to 1858 he trained with Anton von Jaksch (1810-1887), Lerch, and Wenzel Treitz (1819-1872) in Prague.
Late in 1859 Concato was entrusted with the lectures on general pathology in Pavia, and in 1860 was appointed professor of clinical medicine i Bologna. Here, until 1875, he had great success spreading the new doctrines of a semiotics based upon a positive diagnosis. This, of course, antagonized him to some physicians of the old school, but gave him great repute among students and patients. Early in 1876 he let himself be transferred to Padua, but occasioned by antagonism, moved to Torino in 1878, where he continued his lectures until 1880, and with even greater success than in Padua.
Several of his students became tributes to his name; several of them became professor at various Italian universities. All through his scientific career he was a prolific writer. In 1862 he established the journal Ebdomadario clinico, a practical and scientific journal that in 1865 was changed into Rivista clinica di Bologna.
He translated Franz Zehetmayer's (1813-1846) work Grundzüger der Percussion und Auscultation und ihre Anwendung auf die Diagnostik der Brustfell- und Lungenkrankheiten. Padua, 1854 (Wien, 1843, 1845, 1854).
- Sopra un caso di carcinoma villoso della vesica. Imparziale, 1861.
- Dei segni diagnostici fisici nella tuberculosi polmonare incipiente. Ebdomadario clinico, 1863.
- Delle affinità fra tubercolo e cancro e della sostituzione loro ereditaria. Ebdomadario clinico, 1864.
- Sul tetano. Rivista clinica di Bologna, 1865.
- La percussione nella diagnose differenziale delle cardiopatie.
Rivista clinica di Bologna, 1868.
- Apparecchio inamovibile nell’ artrite acuta.
Rivista clinica di Bologna, 1869.
- Sulla fisiologica e fisiopatologia del cuore.
Rivista clinica di Bologna.
- Sul reumatismo articolare a corso rapido.
Torino, 1876; 400 pages. vUn caso di chiluria.
Giornale della R. Accademia di medicina di Torino, 1881.
- La corrente indotta e la compressione meccanica contro i versamenti pleuritici. Piacenza, 1881.
- La diagnosi geenerale dei tumori addominali.
2 parts, Milano, 1881.