Biography of Hermann Lebert
Hermann Lebert, whose original name has been given as Lewy, was born in Breslau, where his parents, at home in Berlin, had fled for a brief period of time to escape war conditions. He studied medicin and the natural sciences, his favourite study, first in Berlin, later in Zurich under Johann Lukas Schönlein (1793-1864). After receiving his medical doctorate at Zurich in 1834, he travelled Switzerland studying botany, and for the next 1 1/2 years studied in Paris, particularly under Baron Guillaume Dupuytren (1777-1835) and Pierre-Charles-Alexandre Louis, (1787-1872). In 1838 he settled in Bex, in the Swiss Canton of Vaud (German: Waadt). Later he changed between Bex and Paris. The winter semesters 1842 to 1845 he spent mainly on work in comparative anatomy, in which he had become interested while travelling the coast of Normandy and the Channel Islands with Charles-Philippe Robin (1821-1885), then still a student. Travelling on a government assignment, they collected specimens for Musée Orfila - the museum of comparative anatomy that Mathéo-José-Bonaventure Orfila (1787-1853) wished to establish in Paris.
Following a stay in Berlin during the winter of 1845-1846 Lebert settled in Paris, devoting his efforts both to his practice and scientific work. In 1853 he accepted an invitation to become professor of clinical medicine in Zurich, and in 1859 moved on to the same tenure in Breslau. In 1874 he returned to Bex, spending the remainders of his life there as well as partly in Vevey and Nice.
Lebert was among the first to use the microscope in pathological anatomy, and thus contributed importantly to both pathology and clinical medicine.
In his autobiography, published in 1869, Lebert lists 101 larger works and other scientific treatises. Besides medical works he published works in biology, one of them being his doctoral dissertation, on the mouth organs of the gastropods and observations on fungus diseases of flies.