Biography of Enrico Sertoli
Enrico Sertoli Sertoli was born in Sondrio, Valtellina, the upper valley of the Adda River from its sources in the Ortles mountains westward to its entry into Lake Como. He studied medicine at the University of Pavia, where one of his teachers was the physiologist Eusebio Oehl (1827-1903), who systematically developed studies in microscopic anatomy and histology. Among his fellow students were Giulio Bizzozero (1846-1901) and Camillo Golgi (1843-1926).
He graduated in 1865 and then studied physiology under Ernst Wilhelm von Brücke (1819-1892) in Vienna. The next year he returned to Italy to take part in the campaign against Austria. After the war, he went to Tübingen in 1867 to work in Ernst Felix Immanuel Hoppe-Seyler’s (1825-1895) laboratory there.
From 1870 to 1907 Sertoli was professor of anatomy and physiology, and after 1907 of physiology only, at the Advanced Royal School of Veterinary Medicine in Milan, which, at that time, enjoyed university status. There he founded the Laboratory of Experimental physiology.