Biography of Ludwig Lichtheim
Ludwig Lichtheim studied in Breslau, Berlin, and Zurich, receiving his doctorate in Berlin in 1867. 1869-1872 he was assistant physician at the medical clinic in Breslau under Hermann Lebert (1813-1878), 1872-1973 at the surgical clinic in Halle under Richard von Volkmann (1830-1889), 1873-1877 at the medical policlinic in Breslau under Lebert and Michael Anton Biermer (1827-1892). He was habilitated in Breslau 1876, and in 1877 came to Jena as professor extraordinary and head of the policlinic, and in 1878 went to Bern as ordinarius. He worked in Königsberg from 1888 to 1912. Lichtheim spent his years in retirement in Bern, where he died in 1928.
With Ernst Adolf Gustav Gottfried Strümpell (1853-1925), Wilhelm Heinrich Erb (1840-1921), and Friedrich Schultze (1848-1934), Lichtheim in 1891 founded the Deutsche Zeitschrift für Nervenheilkunde. In 1910, with F. Meyer, he was the chairman of the annual meeting of the Gesellschaft deutscher Naturforscher und Ärzte.