Biography of Robert Wartenberg
Robert Wartenberg has been called the Stormy Petrel of Neurology and the Rebel of Book Reviewers. He graduated from the University of Rostock in 1919. He worked with Max Nonne (1861-1959) in Hamburg and Otfrid Foerster (1873-1941) in Breslau (Wroclaw, Poland). In 1933 he became head of the nerve clinic at Freiburg and Privatdozent in neurology. However, he was persecuted by the Nazis, and in 1935 he left Germany and settled in San Francisco. In 1952 he was appointed clinical professor of neurology at the University of California.
- This 'Sherlock Holmes' in the discipline of neurology, always searching for truth accuracy and dependability of researcher, clinician or writer, advanced his endowment into book reviewing. His acrid criticism was accurate, for the succeeding edition always embodied all recommendations, but at all times everyone benefited from the Wartenberg warmth, for he never made enemies with his microscopic scrutiny of facts in his unique but complete review of a tome.
Louis D. Boshes
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- The Examination of Reflexes.
- The Examination of Reflexes. A Simplification. Foreword by Foster Kennedy.
Chicago, The Year Book Publishers, Inc. 1945.
- Hemifacial spasm. A clinical and pathophysiological study.
Foreword by Macdonald Critchley.
New York : Oxford University Press, 1952.
- Diagnostic tests in Neurology.
With forewords by Sir Gordon Holmes and Stanley Truman.
Chicago, The Year Book Publishers, Inc. 1953.
- Neurologische Untersuchungsmethoden in der Sprechstunde.
Von Dr. Med, Robert Wartenberg, Honorarprofessor der Universität Freiburg i. Br. Professor der Neurologie an der Universität von Californien in San Francisco. ûbersetzt und herausgegeben von Prof. Dr. Med. Heinz Köbcke, Tübingen. Mit einem Vorwort von Prof. Dr. Jung, Freburg i- Br. Mit 62 Abbildungen un 114 Einzeldarstellungen.
Stuttgart, Georg Thieme Verlag, 1954.
- Neuritis, Sensory Neuritis, Neuralgia. A Clinical Study with Review of the Literature.
Foreword by Wilfred Harris. New York, Oxford University Press, 1958.