Siegfried Josef Thannhauser
Biography of Siegfried Josef Thannhauser
Siegfried Josef Thannhauser studied at the universities of Munich and Geneva. He was conferred doctor of medicine at Munich in 1911, the following year as doctor of philosophy. He worked in the II. university medical clinic in Munich, where he was habilitated for internal medicine in 1917, becoming ausserordentlicher professor in 1922. In 1927 he moved to Düsseldorf as ordentlicher Professor, in 1931 to Freiburg im Breisgau.
He later emigrated to the Unites States and settled in Boston.
- "Dr. D-----, don’t you think a father should be allowed to name his own childe?"
Comment on medical grand rounds, New England Center Hospital, ca 1958.
Referring to Dr. D------‘s reclassification of several diseases which Dr. Tannhauser had originally described and named many years before.
"Patients may have both fleas and lice."
Comment during ward rounds, New England Center Hospital.
Emphasizing that a patient may be afflicted with two distinctly unrelated diseases.
- Abbau der Nucleinsäuren. Teilweiser Abbau und Isolierung der Spaltstücke.
Handbuch der biologische Arbeitsmethoden, part 1, T. 8; Berlin and Vienna, 1922.
- Die Nucleine und der Nucleinstoffwechsel.
Handbuch der normalen und pathologischen Physiologie, volume 5; Berlin, 1928.
- Lehrbuch des Stoffwechsels und der Stoffwechselkrankheiten. Munich, 1929.
- Krankheiten der Atmungsorgane.
Lehrbuch der inneren Medizin, volume 1; Berlin, 1931.
- Krankheiten der Muskeln, Knochen und Gelenke.
Lehrbuch der inneren Medizin, volume 2; Berlin, 1931.