German surgeon, born April 7, 1841, Ortelsburg, East Prussia; died November 1, 1902, Berlin.
Biography of Eugen HahnEugen Hahn studied medicine at the Albertus-Universität in Königsberg and the Schlesische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität. He was a member of the Corps Baltia in Königsberg and the Corps Silesia Breslau. He passed the state examination in 1866 and was conferred doctor of medicine in Berlin the same year.
Hahn was active in the war against Austria in 1866 and in 1870 against France. He later worked in the Bethanien and was assistant physician to Robert Ferdinand Wilms (1824-1880) and head of the surgical station of the Berlin policlinic.
In 1880 he succeeded Max Schede (1844-1902) as head of the surgical department of the Friedrichshain hospital in Berlin. He remained in this position for the rest of his life. With surgeons from other hospitals in Berlin he, in 1886, founded the Freie Vereinigung der Chirurgen Berlins, the precursor to the Berliner Chirurgische Gesellschaft. After his activity as a hospital physician, he was active in academic teaching.
He held the title of professor and was made a Geheimer Sanitäts-Rat (privy medical counsellor), and in 1899 was president of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chirurgie. He received the award in gold and the Hausorden der Wendischen Krone and the Roter Adlerorden, 4th class.
In 1881 Hahn succeeded in the world’s first operative fixation of a floating kidney, so-called nephropexie. In 1884 he invented a new operative technique for defects of the shinbone by implanting a part of the fibula in the shinbone. In 1880 he performed the first surgical removal of cancer in the larynx.