Georg Gottlieb Hohmann
Biography of Georg Gottlieb Hohmann
Georg Hohmann was the son of the merchant Louis Hohmann (1843-1922) and his wife Ida (1853-1931), née Neumann. He studied medicine in Jena, München, Berlin and Würzburg, and passed his state examination in 1903, the same year he presented his doctoral dissertation at the University of Würzburg.
From 1903 to 1910 he worked as an assistant, later head physician, in the orthopaedic clinic in Munich under Fritz Lange (1864-1952). From 1910 he had his own practice in Munich. During World War I, with Franz Schede, he built a rehabilitattion centre for people wounded in the war. Schede called him the “Meister der operativen Klinik”.
He was habilitated for orthopaedic surgery at Munich in 1918, becoming professor extraordinary in 1923, ordinarius in 1926. In 1930 he accepted an invitattion to become full professor and director of the university orthopaedic clinic “Stiftung Friedrichsheim” in Frankfurt am Main.
In 1937, Hohmann succeeded professor Hermann Gocht as chairman of the Deutsche Vereinigung für Krüppelfürsorge as well as head of Deutsche Orthopädische Gesellschaft – the German Association for the Welfare of ther Crippled, and the German Orthopaedic Society.
Late in 1945 he was elected rector in Frankfurt and achieved the reopening of the university. In April 1946 he moved on to the chair of orthopaedics at the University of Munich, where he was also elected rector. He was emerited in 1950 but headed both the chair and the clinic until 1954. Georg Hohmann was married twice.
Georg Hohmann’s activity was not limited to medicine. He was a liberal member of the Bavarian parliamenet (Bayerischer Landtag), an enthusiastic supporter of Friedrich Naumann and a yourh friend of Theodor Heuss, in 1949 the first president of the German Federal Republic.
Georg Gottlieb Hohmann was doctor honoris cause of medizin of the universities of Würzburg (1953), Giessen (1957) and Leipzig (1957), of veterinary medicine at Munich (1955) and of natural sciences from the University of Frankfurt (1955). He received the Grosses Verdienskreuz of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland. He died on October 5, 1970, aged 90.