Biography of Just-Marie-Marcellin Lucas-Championnière
Just-Marie-Marcellin Lucas-Championnière studied in Paris from 1860. He obtained his medical doctorate in 1870 and won his agrégé in 1874.
He was an ardent supporter of Joseph Lister (1827-1912) and worked with him in Glasgow before graduating. He subsequently introduced antiseptic surgery to France and wrote the first authoritative work on antiseptic surgery. He invented an atomizer which is still used for skin care. He was also a pupil of Pierre Paul Broca (1824-1880). He became Chirurgien des hôpitaux in 1874.
Lucas-Championnière did much for the development of surgical techniques, especially involving bone, and in 1887 published a classical monograph on treatment of hernias. In 1913 he performed the first valvotomy to relieve aortic stenosis.
Lucas-Championnière was editor-in-chief of the Journal de médecine et de chirurgie pratiques.
Besides medicine, he was also interested in anthropology and demonstrated that prehistoric flints could produce trephine holes in a skull in 30-50 minutes.
He was a member of the Académie de Medecine. A street in Paris bears his name.
We thank Michel Le Séac'h, and Patrick Jucker-Kupper, Switzerland, for information submitted.
- Lymphatiques utérins et lymphangite utérine etc.
Doctoral thesis; Paris : P. Asselin, 1870.
- De la fièvre traumatique. Thesis for agrégé, 1872.
- Les lymphatiques utérins et leur rôle dans la pathologie utérine.
Archives de tocologie, 1875.
- Chirurgie antiseptique. Paris : J. B. Baillière, 1876, 1880.
- Étude historique et clinique sur la trépanation du crâne. La trépanation guidée par les localisations cérébrales. Paris 1878
- Le massage et la mobilisation dans le traitement des fractures. 1886, 1889.
- Cure radicale des hernies. Paris 1887.
- Julius Leopold Pagel (1851-1912), publisher:
Biographisches Lexikon hervorragender Ärzte des neunzehnten Jahrhunderts.
Urban & Schwarzenberg, Berlin and Vienna, 1901.
- August Hirsch (1817-1894), publisher:
Biographisches Lexikon der hervorragenden Ärzte aller Zeiten und Völker.
2nd edition. Berlin, Urban & Schwarzenberg, 1929.
First published in 6 volumes 1884-1888. 3rd edition, München 1962.
- Barry G. Firkin and Judith A. Whitworth:
Dictionary of Medical Eponyms.
The Parthenon Publishing Group. 1989. New edition in 2002.
- Jeremy M. Norman, editor:
Morton’s Medical Bibliography. An annotated Check-list of Texts Illustrating the History of Medicine (Garrison and Morton).
Fifth edition. Scolar Press, 1991.
- S. Ostini:
[The pulverisator of Just Lucas-Championnière, according to Lister (1876)]
La Revue médicale de la Suisse Romande, Lausanne, June 1993, 113 (6): 505-506.