Samuel Addison Marable
Biography of Samuel Addison Marable
Samuel Addison Marable was the son of J. Hartwell Marable and Myrna Posters. He attended Clarksville public schools and was graduated as valedictorian of his 1946 class. He completed pre-medical studies at Vanderbilt Hospital where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received the Founders Medal and was graduated magna cum laude. After completing a degree in 1952 he completed a surgical internship at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Marable served as a medical officer in the U.S. Navy, and subsequently did residency training in general and thoracic surgery at the University of California Medical Center in Los Angeles. He then remained at UCLA as an instructor in surgery and was also a member of the attending staff. Although open heart surgery had not yet made its appearance, the refinement of operative technique and instrumentation used in closed heart operational procedures performed by dr. Marable and other surgeons.
In 1961 he went to Ohio State University as an assistant professor of surgery, a member of the attending staff of the University Hospital, administrator of the Medical Surgical Lecture Course and the resident Training Program in Surgery. He was also a general surgeon specializing in cardiovascular surgery. The medical class of the Ohio State University in 1964 elected him "Man of the Year".
In 1967, Dr. Marable and Dr. Samuel Roberts, also a surgeon at the Ohio State University Medical Center, spearhead the first medical helicopter program, called the Medicopter Program.
He married Audrey Smith and they had three daughters and two sons. Dr. Marable died at Ohio State University Hospital in 1970 following a brief illness After his death the University of California College of Medicine dedicated a new surgical library to Dr. Samuel A. Marable. He is buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery in Columbus, Ohio.
- Montgomery County, Tennessee. Family History Book 2000.
Paducah, Kentucky: Turner Publishing Company.
- K. J. Schmutzer, S. A. Marable, G. Diesh, J. V. Maloney Jr, W. P. Longmire Jr:
Evidence of air embolism with the bubble oxygenator; comparison with the Gibbon oxygenator.
Surgical Forum, Chicago, 1957, 8: 416-419.
- G. Diesh, P. J. Flynn, S. A. Marable, D. G. Mulder, K. J. Schmutzer, W. P. Longmire Jr, J. V. Maloney Jr:
Comparison of low (azygous) flow and high flow principles of extracorporeal circulation employing a bubble oxygenator.
Surgery, St. Louis, July 1957, 42 (1): 67-72; discussion, 72-5.
- K. J. Schmutzer, S. A. Marable, E. Raschke, J. V. Maloney Jr, W. P. Longmire Jr:
Zur Problematik des extrakorporalen Kreislaufes.
[Problems of the extracorporeal circulation.]
Langenbecks Archiv für klinische Chirurgie vereinigt mit Deutsche Zeitschrift für Chirurgie, Berlin 1958, 290 (1): 64-85.
- K. J. Schmutzer, S. A. Marable, J. V. Maloney Jr:
Successful closure of a patent ductus arteriosus in the dog; report of a case.
The Cornell Veterinarian, Ithaca, NY, October 1958, 48 (4): 404-409.
- J. V. Maloney Jr, W. P. Longmire Jr, K. J. Schmutzer, S. A. Marable, E. Raschke, Y. Watanabe, E. L. Lobpreis, J. E. Arzouman:
An experimental and clinical comparison of the bubble dispersion and stationary screen pump oxygenators.
Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, Chicago, November 1958, 107 (5): 577-587.
- J. D. Steele, S. A. Marable:
Cervical mediastinotomy for biopsy.
The Journal of Thoracic Surgery, St. Louis, May 1959, 37 (5): 621-624.
- E. W. Fonkalsrud, J. Shiner, R. Haan, S. A. Marable, V. Newcomer, D. B. Rochlin:
Experimental studies and clinical experience with isolated limb perfusion of fungicidal drugs.
Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, September 1961, 113: 306-314.
- W. P. Longmire Jr. and S. A. Marable:
Clinical experiences with major hepatic resections.
Annals of Surgery, Philadelphia, September 1961, 154 (3): 460-472.
Presented before the American Surgical Association, Boca Raton, Florida, March 21-23, 1961.
- S. A. Marable, D. E. Wagner:
The use of rapidly polymerizing adhesives in massive liver resection.
Surgical Forum, Chicago, 1962, 13: 264-266.
- J. V. Maloney, S. A. Marable, D. G. Mulder:
The surgical treatment of common atrioventricular canal.
The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St. Louis, January 1962, 43 (1): 84-96.
- S. A. Marable, J. V. Maloney Jr:
Bilateral transfixation injury of the thorax.
The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, February 1963; 45: 161-165.
- H. G. Kelley, H. E. Knoernschild, S. A. Marable:
Aneurysms of the pancreaticoduodenal arteries: A review of the literature and case report.
The American Journal of Surgery, April 1964, 107: 644-646.
- H. G. Kelley, H. E. Knoernschild, S. A. Marable:
A case of giant cell reparative granuloma.
The American Journal of Surgery, New York, April 1964, 107: 647-652.
- J. David Dunbar, William Molnar, Floyd F. Beman, Samuel A. Marable:
Compression of the celiac trunk and abdominal angina.
The American Journal of Roentgenology, Radium Therapy and Nuclear Medicine, Springfield, November 1965, 95 (3): 731-744.
- S. A. Marable, W. Molnar, F. M. Beman:
Abdominal pain secondary to celiac axis compression.
The American Journal of Surgery, New York, April 1966, 111 (4): 493-495.
- F. T. Moore, S. A. Marable, E. Ogden:
Contractility of the heart in abnormal temperatures.
The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Amsterdam, May 1966, 2 (3): 446-450.
- S. A. Marable, E. Ogden:
Contractility of the heart in abnormal. temperatures.
The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Amsterdam, 1966, 2: 446-450.
- S. A. Marable, F. G. Winegarner, F. T. Moore, D. B. Olin, W. Molnar:
Pulmonary embolism and the indications for embolectomy.
Archives of Surgery, Chicago, August 1966, 93 (2): 258-264.
- R. J. Mounts, W. Molnar, S. A. Marable, C. F. Wooley:
Angiography in recent pulmonary embolism with follow-up studies: preliminary report. Radiology, October 1966, 87 (4): 713-717.
- S. A. Marable, F. T . Moore, J. F. Schieve:
Treatment of hypertension associated with the solitary ischemic kidney.
The New England Journal of Medicine, Boston, December 8, 1966, 8, 275(23): 1278-1282.
- D. P. Fusonie, S. A. Marable:
Lymphedema of the lower extremity: report of two cases of primary lymphedema illustrating medical and surgical therapy.
The American Surgeon, Atlanta, June 1967, 33 (6): 494-498.
- S. A. Marable, M. F. Kaplan, F. M. Beman, W. Molnar:
Celiac compression syndrome.
The American Journal of Surgery, January 1968, 115 (1): 97-102.
- N. R. Thomford, S. A. Marable:
Arterial trauma. A review of 88 acute injuries.
The Ohio State Medical Journal, Athens, Ohio, October 1968, 64 (10): 1143-1148.
- N. R. Thomford, P. H. Curtiss, S. A. Marable:
Injuries of the iliac and femoral arteries associated with blunt skeletal trauma.
The Journal of Trauma, Baltimore, February 1969, 9 (2): 126-134.
- S. A. Marable and N. R. Thomford:
Abdominal aortic aneurysm associated with horseshoe kidney.
Angiology, February 1970, 21 (2): 124-129..
- S. J. DeVoe, S. A. Marable:
Specificity of symptoms of extracranial carotid occlusive disease.
The Ohio State Medical Journal, May 1970, 66 (5): 488-491.
- L. E. Dorfman, S. A. Marable:
Intraoperative pulmonary embolectomy: case report.
The Journal of Urology, Hagerstown, September 1970, 104 (3): 384-385.
- S. Roberts, C. Bailey, J. R. Vandermade, A. A. Marable:
Medicopter: an airborne intensive care unit.
Annals of Surgery, Philadelphia, September 1970, 172 (3): 325-333.