Biography of Georg Axhausen
Georg Axhausen is noted as the first to use the word aseptic necrosis. In his time there were no antibiotics and necrotic bone was frequent. In an article he published in 1910, Axhausen wrote that necrosis occurred at the bone-ends of every fracture, and that this stimulated and was replaced by periosteal proliferation. He also believed that focal necrosis of subchondral bone caused changes in the overlying articular cartilage, which lead to "arthritis deformans". It was not until the 1950's that Axhausen's term of aseptic necrosis was replaced by the term avascular necrosis.
Axhausen studied at the Kaiser-Wilhelms-Akademie in Berlin. After obtaining his medical doctorate in 1901, he worked at the surgical clinic in Kiel under Heinrich Helferich (1851-1945) from 1904 to 1906, then 1907-1908 at the institute of pathology at the Friedrichshain hospital in Berlin under Ludwig Pick (1868-1944), and from 1909 to 1924 at the surgical clinic at the Charité under Otto Hildebrand (1858-1927). He was habilitated in 1908, conferred the title of professor in 1912, extraordinarius in Berlin 1920. Axhausen concerned himself in particular with the pathology and surgery of bones and joints, with the histological laws of bone grafting, necrosis of the epiphysis, arthritis deformans, etc.