Biography of John Zahorsky
John Zahorsky was the son of John Zahorsky and Amalia Zahorsky, née Gura, Hungarian immigrants who moved to Steelville, Missouri, when he was seven year old. The name Zahorsky has been traced to the Polish word, Zagorza, which signifies "from the hills." Zahorsky means, therefore, the family from the hills.
To pay for his way through Missouri Medical College (since absorbed by Washington University), he worked as a pharmacist, file clerk and ladies' wear salesman.
On June 27, 1900, John Zahorsky married Carrie Elizabeth Silverwood (1876-1947) in St. Louis, Missouri. They had a daughter and a son.
John Zahorsky was Professor of Pediatrics and Director of the Department of Pediatries, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis. After more than 40 years as a specialist in paediatrics and practicing in big St. Louis hospitals, Zahorsky went back to his old home town, Steelville, Missouri, to practice as a country doctor.
He was buried in Steelville Cemetery, Crawford County, Missouri.
- "When the young child is sick, it is happiest and shows the strongest resistance when under parental care and in its home.