Biography of Julius Wolff
Julius Wolff attended the Gymnasium in Berlin and studied medicine at the University of Berlin where he obtained his doctorate in 1860 under Bernhard Rudolf Konrad von Langenbeck (1810-1887). From 1861 he practised medicine in Berlin and established the Clinic for Orthopaedic Surgery in Markthallenstrasse. In 1868 he was habilitated for surgery and from 1870/1871 lectured on orthopaedics at the university. In 1884 he became professor extraordinary.
In 1886 Wolff was a co-founder Freie Vereinigung der Chirurgen Berlins, of which he became a member of the board. In 1890 his private institute became "Die Provisorische Poliklinik der orthopädischen Chirurgie", which was made a regular university department in 1894. He was made a privy medical counsellor – Geheimer Medizinalrat – in 1899. Wolff served with the Prussian campaign against Denmark in 1864, against Austria in 1866, and against France 1870/1871, and received the Iron Cross.
We thank Patrick Jucker-Kupper, Switzerland, for information submitted.