Louis Joseph Sanson
Biography of Louis Joseph Sanson
Louis Joseph Sanson was the brother of the physician Alphonse Sanson (1795-1873) and the son of a midwife. From 1805, in Paris, he was successively externe, interne des hôpitaux, chirurgien sous-aide in the Hôpital du Gros-Caillou, and surgeon with the ambulances of the imperial guard (1813). He received his doctorate in 1817. Sanson was a pupil of Guillaume Dupuytren (1777-1835), with whom he had a close relationship until the death of the latter. In 1823 he became chirurgien du Bureau central, in 1824 second surgeon in the Hôtel-Dieu, 1830 professeur agrégé at the faculty. He headed the ophthalmologic clinic then newly established in the Hôtel-Dieu. During Dupuytren’s absence he represented Dupuytren’s chair in 1836, assuming this chair after Dupuytren’s death in 1836, with a brilliant concours.
In 1830 Sanson was relived of a bladder stone through an operation performed by Jean-Jacques-Joseph Leroy d'Étoilles (1798-1860).