Biography of Francesco Orsi
Francesco Orsi was educated in Pavia and Paris, under Bartolomeo Panizza (1785-1867), Francesco Flarer 1791-1850), Antonio Pignacca (1806-1858), Salvatore Tommasi (1813-1888), Augustin Grisolle (1811-1869), and Alfred Hardy (1811-1893). He settled in Pavia in 1856, first to become an assistant at the medical clinic. 1864-1866 he worked in Genoa, before he returned to Pavia to work as professor of internal medicine. His main field was the diagnostics of heart disease. He reported a new method of percussion which was later elaborated by Grocco.
- Compendio di patologia. Appeared in 2 editions.
- Sulle affezioni cutanee parasitaire. Napoli, 1861.
- Dell' anemia, della chlorosi e della melanemia. Milano, 1883.
- Sulle malattie del sangue. Genova, 1866.
- Frammenti di patologia e terapia generale.
Gazzetta medica italiana. Lombardia, Milano, 1868. Obituary in The Lancet, 1900, 1: 204.