Karl Andreyevich Rauchfuss
Biography of Karl Andreyevich Rauchfuss
Karl Andreyevich Rauchfuss studied in St. Petersburg from 1852 to 1857. From 1859 he specialised in paediatrics, but changed to laryngology in 1860. From he was prosector and physician at the Findelhaus, a hospital and/or orphanage, and from 1869 director and physician-in-chief at the St. Petersburg children's hospital named for Prince Peter von Oldenburg. From 1875 he headed the paediatric clinic for the higher medical courses for women, and from 1876 he was imperial life paediatrician to the Russian court.
Collaborating with the architect Y. Kavos, Rauchfuss was in charge of the building and fitting up of the Prince Peter von Oldenburg children's hospital (1867 to 1869) and from 1875 to 1876 of the Wladimir children's hospital in Moscow. At both hospitals he maintained the principle of strict isolation of contagious diseases, both at the children's hospital and the polyclinic.
Rauchfuss was the founder of the Society of Paediatricians in St. Petersburg and the all Russian welfare committee for mother and child. In 1905 he became an honorary member of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin. His name is now associated with a children's hospital on Ligowski Prospekt 8 in St. Petersburg, the former Prince Peter von Oldenburg children's hospital.