Arthur Purdy Stout
Biography of Arthur Purdy Stout
Arthur Purdy Stout was the fourth son of Joseph S. Stout and his wife, Julia Frances (Purdy) Stout. He was educated at the Pomfret School and at Yale, where he received his A.B. in 1907. After a year spent travelling in Asia, he entered the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University (P&S) and received his M.D. in 1912.
Stout served a surgical internship at Roosevelt Hospital and then returned to P&S in 1914 as an Instructor in Surgery. He served in the U.S. armed forces in France during World War I after which he resumed his position at Columbia. He became an Assistant Professor of Surgery in 1921, an Associate Professor in 1928 and a full Professor in 1947. From 1950, he was concurrently Professor of Pathology.
Stout was one of the most prominent pathologists of his era, with a special expertise in tumour pathology. During his tenure as director (1928-1951), the Laboratory of Surgical Pathology at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center gained an international reputation and trained many future leaders in the field. His colleagues included such prominent figures as Virginia Kneeland Frantz, Cushman Haagensen, Margaret Murray and Raffaele Lattes, who succeeded Stout as director.
Stout was the author of over 300 scientific articles and the monograph, Human Cancer (1932). He also wrote four fascicles of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology's Atlas of Tumor Pathology. He belonged to 16 professional societies and was the recipient of numerous awards. In 1947, an organization of surgical pathologists was named the Arthur Purdy Stout Club in his honour. The name was changed in 1956 to the Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists, now with more than 400 members.
Upon retirement in 1951, Stout became director of pathology and Attending Pathologist at Francis Delafield Hospital, a municipal cancer hospital whose professional staff was appointed by Columbia University. He retired from Delafield in 1954, but remained a Professor Emeritus of Surgery at Columbia and a Consulting Pathologist at both Delafield and Presbyterian Hospitals until his death on Dec. 21, 1967.
From the website of the Health Sciences Library. Columbia University.
We thank Andre Trombeta for information submitted.