Biography of Heinrich Neumann
Heinrich Neumann studied at Vienna, where he received his doctorate in 1898. Already whilst a student he concerned himself with work on the normal and pathological anatomy of the ear in Anton Weichselbaum’s (1845-1920) institute. He subsequently worked in Adam Politzer's (1835-1920) private laboratory, and in 1900 he entered the university ear clinic, becoming assistant in 1903.
Neumann was habilitated for otology discipline in 1907, becoming titular professor of otology in 1911. In 1910 he became ear surgeon in the Spital der Kaufmannschaft (Merchants' Hospital), 1912 head of the otology department in the Franz-Josef-Ambulatorium. In 1919 he became professor extraordinary and head of the university clinic for diseases of the ear, nose and larynx, succeeding Victor Urbantschitsch (1847-1921) as titular professor.
Neumann was particularly recognized for his works on painless operations on bone without anaesthetics, on the clinics and pathology of intracranial complications of infections of the middle ear, equilibrium, and otosclerosis.
Neumann devised a new and life-saving operation for opening the labyrinth, a technique that has later been general practice.