Carl Siegmund Franz Credé
Biography of Carl Siegmund Franz Credé
Carl Siegmund Franz Credé spent his student years in Heidelberg and Berlin, where he was conferred doctor of medicine in 1842. Following a one year scientific journey in Europe he became assistant physician at the obstetrical clinic in Berlin under Busch. In 1850 he was habilitated for Privatdozent of obstetrics at the University of Berlin. In 1852 he became director of the Berlin school for midwives and chief physician of the delivery department, as well as director of a gynaecological department established by him at the Berlin Charité.
In 1856 Credé was made professor of obstetrics at the University of Leipzig, where he was, once more, entrusted with the directorship of the school of midwifery and became director of the maternity unit. Here he established a policlinic of obstetrics and gynaecology, and established a separate department of women's diseases at the maternity unit. Besides his practical duties he found time for numerous written works. He worked up a textbook on midwifery well known in his days and republished it.
Credé, an excellent teacher as well as a competent organiser, in 1860 received the title of Hofrat - court counsellor, in 1870 that of privy medical counsellor.
From 1853 to 1869 he edited the Monatsschrift für Geburtskunde, from 1870 the Archiv für Gynäkologie.
We thank Søren Nørby, Denmark, for correcting an error in the original entry.
- De omphali proptosi. Dissertation, Berlin, 1842.
- Klinische Vorträge über Geburtshilfe.
2 volumes, Berlin, 1853-1854.
- Die preussischen Hebammen, ihre Stellung zum Staat und zur Geburtshilfe. 1855.
- De foetus in utero mutilatione filis membranisque pathologicis effecta. 1858.
- De optima in partu naturali placentam amovendi ratione. 1860
- Observationes nonnullae de foetus situ inter graviditatem.
- Die Verhütung der Augenentzündung der Neugeborenen. 1884.
- Ueber Erwärmungsgeräthe für frühgeborene und schwächliche kleine Kinder.
[Concerning warming devices for prematures and feeble tiny children]
Mittheilungen aus der geburtshüflichen Klinik in Leipzig.
Archiv für Gynäkologie, 1884, 24: 128-147.
Lehrbuch der Hebammenkunst. 1875.
Third edition published by Credé and Franz von Winckel (1837-1911) in Leipzig 1882.