Aloys Constantin Conrad Gustav Veit
Biography of Aloys Constantin Conrad Gustav Veit
Aloys Constantin Conrad Gustav Veit, the son of an apothecary, studied in Breslau, Berlin, Heidelberg, and Halle, where he received his doctorate in 1848. He was subsequently assistant in the maternity institute (Entbindungs-Institut) at Halle under Hohl, then at the same institute in Berlin under Busch. He was habilitated as Privatdozent in Berlin in 1853, and in 1854 was called to Rostock as ordinarius of obstetrics, director of the obstetrical clinic and the general teaching institution for midwifes (Hebammen-Lehranstalt), also becoming a member of the Medicinal-Commission, and in 1861 was appointed Ober Med.-Rath. In 1864 he went to Bonn as professor and director of the obstetrical clinic, and was appointed Geheimner Medicinalrath, later Geheimer Ober-Medicinalrath. He himself was also Verwaltungs-Director of the new clinical institutions. In 1893 he retired to his estate Deyelsdorf near Grimmen in Pommern.
His son was Johann Veit (1852-1917), professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Leiden, Erlangen and Halle.