Viktor Felix Karl Klingmüller
Biography of Viktor Felix Karl Klingmüller
Viktor Felix Karl Klingmüller studied in Breslau and Halle, graduating at Halle in 1893. From 1895 to 1895 he was an assistant in the medical clinic in Halle under C. Weber, and from 1896 to 1906 assistant and head physician in the dermatological clinic in Breslau, under Albert Neisser (1855–1916). He was habilitated for dermatology at Breslau in 1902, becoming ausserordentlicher Professor in 1902. In 1906 he was appointed to succeed Ernst von Dühring Pascha (1858-1944) in the chair of dermatology at the University of Kiel, where he headed the skin clinic from 1906 to 1937, when he was emerited.
During his time with Albert Neisser at the skin clinic in Breslau, Klingmüller saw the collection of castings made by the Moulageur Alfons Kröner. Neisser had begun building this collection as early as in 1890. The castings are based on true to nature, three dimensional wax models of pathological changes, made from plaster casts of the patients, and coloured.
When Klingmüller moved to Kiel, he brought with him several of Kröner's casting and expanded the collection through productions of his own. In 1921 this collection comprised several hundred castings. The collection presently numbers some 1,000 castings, covering the entire field of dermatology.
We thank Patrick Jucker-Kupper, Switzerland, for information submitted.
- Tuberkulin. In Lesser: Enzyklopädie. Leipzig, 1900.
- Actinomyces, Leprabacillus.
In: Enzyklopädie der mikroskopischen Technik. Berlin and Vienna, 1903; 2nd edition, 1910.
- Behandlung der Gonorrhoe.
In: Nikolai Guleke (1878–1958), Franz Penzoldt (1849–1927), Roderich Stintzing (1854–1933): Handbuch der gesamten Therapie. 6th edition, 1927. 1st edition: Jena, 1894–1896. 7 volumes.
The first editions were published by Penzoldt and Stintzing.
- Die Lepra. In: Handbuch der Haut- und Geschlechtskrankheiten. Volume 10, 2. Berlin, 1931.
- Friedrich Bering (1878-1950):
Zum 70. Geburtstag von Prof. Victor Klingmüller in Kiel.
Münchener medizinische Wochenschrift, 1940, 87: 44-45.