Biography of Georg Lotheissen
Georg Lotheissen was the son of Ferdinand Lotheissen (1833-1887), a teacher. The father worked in a school in Büdingen am Vogelberg and married Luise, the daughter of school director Georg Thudichum (1794-1873). After some political discordance he went 1863 to Geneva, where he worked as teacher in the institute La Châteleine of his brother in law Karl Thudichum. His son, Georg, was born in Geneva on September 14, 1868.
Georg Lotheissen studied in Vienna and received his doctorate there in 1892. Here he was assistant 1891-1894 with Emil Zuckerkandl (1849-1910), then apprentice in surgery with Theodor Billroth (1829-1894) and Carl Gussenbauer (1842-1903), and 1895-1901 1st assistant to Viktor von Hacker (1852-1933) at the Innsbruck surgical clinic. He was habilitated for surgery in 1899, in 1902 became primary physician and head of the surgical department at the Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Spital in Vienna, becoming extraordinary professor in 1915. He retired in 1935. His most important work concerns the surgery of the oesophagus, anaesthetical methods and his operation for femoral hernia.
We thank Patrick Jucker-Kupper for information submitted.