Biography of Otto Lubarsch
Otto Lubarsch studied philosophy and natural sciences in Leipzig and Heidelberg, then studied medicine in Jena, Berlin, Heidelberg, and Strassburg, obtaining his doctorate in 1883. He was approbiert in 1885, and for several months that year was assistant at the physiological institute in Bern under Hugo Kronecker (1839-1914), then assistant at the pathological institutes in Giessen under Eugen Bostroem (1850-1928), in Breslau under Emil Ponfick (1844-1913), and in Zurich under Theodor Albrecht Edwin Klebs (1834-1913). He also worked at the zoological station in Naples.
Lubarsch was habilitated for pathological anatomy in 1890 in Zurich. From 1891 to 1896 he was first assistant at the pathological institute in Rostock under Albert Thierfelder (1842-1908), becoming professor extraordinary of general pathology and pathological anatomy in that city in 1894. In 1899 he was invited to become professor at the pathological-anatomical department of the hygienical institute in Posen. In 1905 he came to Zwickau as head of the pathological and bacteriological institute in the Krankenstift, and in 1907 assumed the chair at the academy of the practice of medicine in Düsseldorf, in 1913 at the University of Kiel, and in 1917 in Berlin, where he retired in 1929.
Lubarsch was a collaborator of the journal Ergebnisse der allgemeinen Pathologie und pathologischen Anatomie der Menschen und der Tiere, which he established with Robert von Ostertag (1864-1940) in 1896.
Lubarsch was publisher of Virchows Archiv für pathologische Anatomie und Physiologie und für klinische Medizin.