Biography of Heinrich Fritsch
Heinrich Fritsch was educated at Tübingen, Würzburg, and Halle. He received his doctorate in Halle in 1869, then became assistant at the obstetrical clinic of Robert Michel von Olshausen (1835-1915). He was habilitated for obstetrics in 1873 in Halle, where he, following his assistant period, commenced general practice. He became extraordinary professor in 1877, and in this year with Hermann Fehling (1847-1925) established the journal Zentralblatt für Gynäkologie.
In 1882 Fritsch followed a call to Breslau as full professor and director of the obstetrical clinic, in 1893 to Bonn, where he was medical counsellor to the Medizinal-Kollegium of the Rheinprovinz. Fritsch retired in Bonn in 1910 and died there in 1915.
Fritsch was an excellent physician and operator whose work concerns all fields of obstetrics and gynaecology. As a clinical teacher he educated a group distinguished obstetricians, counting Hermann Johannes Pfannenstiel (1862-1909), Erwin Kehrer (born 1874), and Walter Stoeckel (1871-1961). Already in his own lifetime a memorial well was erected in his honour in front of the Women’s clinic in Bonn.