Biography of Hugo Hellendall
Hugo Hellendall studied in Heidelberg, Munich, and Strassburg, where he obtained his doctorate in 1896. He spent his internship and was an assistant in the Berliner Städtisches Krankenhaus at Friedrichshain under David Paul Hansemann (1858-1920), Paul Fürbringer (1849-1930), and Georg Krönig (1856-1911), in the Strassburg university surgical clinic under Otto Wilhelm Madelung (1846-1926) and under Albert Siegmund Gustav Döderlein (1860-1941) in the university women’s clinic in Tübingen. He later established his own private women's clinic in Düsseldorf.
Hellendall introduced a new procedure for Credé’s prophylaxis for prevention of gonorrhoeal ophthalmia in the newborn (Medizinische Klinik, 1907, 3: 1422), as well as a new method of temporary sterilisation (Zentralblatt für Gynäkologie, Leipzig, 1921, 45: 822), and found a new symptom of extrauterine pregnancy. This is probably not exactly the same as Cullen’s sign, which is a bluish discoloration of the periumbilical skin seen in ruptured ectopic pregnancy.