Aldur Wictor Eriksson
Biography of Aldur Wictor Eriksson
Aldur Wictor Eriksson graduated from the University of Helsinki. He soon became interested in human genetics, and from 1964 he worked in the Finnish National research Council for Medical Sciences. From 1964 he worked in the Finnish National research Council for Medical Sciences. Working with the International Human Adaptability Biological Program he went on expeditions to study the Eskimos of North Western Greenland, the Icelanders, the Lapps and Skolts of northern Finland, the Volga-Finns of Mari, and the Komi of Russia. He was appointed professor of human genetics at the Free University of Amsterdam in 1972. In 1986 he was awarded the Gregor Mendel Medal. He has authored or co-authored more than 50 medical publications.
- N.E. Simpson, A. W. Eriksson, and W. Lehmann:
Genetic diversity in circumpolar populations.
In Population structure and genetic disorders, edited by A. W. Eriksson, H. R. Forsius, H. R. Nevanlinna, P. L. Workmannand and R. K. Norio.. London: Academic Press, 1978 p. 139-149.
- A.W, Eriksson, W. Lehmann, and W. E. Simpson:
Genetic studies on circumpolar populations.
In: The human biology of circumpolar populations. F. A. Milan, ed. London: Cambridge University Press, 1980, p. 81-168.
- W. Eriksson, H. R. Forsius, H. R. Nevanlinna, P. L. Workmann and R. K. Norio editors:
Population Structure and Genetic Disorders.
London: Academic Press, 1980.
- J. H, Mielke, L. B. Jorde, P. G. Trapp, D. L. Anderton, K. Pitkänen, and A. W. Eriksson:
Historical epidemiology of smallpox in Åland, Finland: 1750-1890.
Demography, 1984, 21:3, pp. 271-295.
- J. H. Mielke, K. J. Pitkänen, L. B. Jorde, J. O. Fellman, and A. W. Eriksson:
Demographic patterns in the Åland Islands, Finland, 1750-1900. Yearbook of Population Research in Finland, XXV. Population Research Institute: Helsinki, 1987, pp. 57-74.
- K. Pitkänen, L. B. Jorde, J. H. Mielke, J. O. Fellman, and A. W. Eriksson:
Marital migration and genetic structure in Kitee, Finland.
Annals of Human Biology, 1988, 15:1, pp. 23-34.
- W. Eriksson, W. M. A. Bressers, P. J. Kostense, R. F. J. Tas, K. J. Pitkänen, J. H. Mielke, L. B. Jorde, J. O. Fellman:
Twinning Rate in Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands during years of privation.
Acta geneticae medicae et gemellologiae, Rome, 1988, 37:277-298.
- L. B. Jorde, K. Pitkanen, J. H. Mielke, J. O. Fellman, and A. W. Eriksson:
Historical Epidemiology of Smallpox in Kitee, Finland.
In Disease in Populations in Transition. Anthropological and Epidemiological Perspectives. Edited by Alan C. Swedlund and George J. Armelagos. Bergin & Garvey. South Hadley, Massachusetts, 1990, pp. 183-200.
- L. B Jorde, K. J. Pitkänen, E. O'Brien, and A. W. Eriksson:
Consanguinity and genetic disease in Finland's Swedish-speaking minority.
In Minority Populations: Genetics, Demography and Health, edited by A. H. Bittles and D. F. Roberts. Macmillan: London, 1992, pp. 14-34.
- L. B.Jorde, K. J.Pitkänen, E. O'Brien & A. W. Eriksson - The Galton Lecture for 1990:
The Price of Isolation. In Minority Populations Genetics, Demography and Health, edited by A.H. Bittles and D.F Roberts. Palgrave Publishers, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 1992.
- J. M Letters, P. K. Witting, J. K. Christison, A. W. Eriksson, K. Pettersson and R. Stocker:
Time-dependent changes to lipids and antioxidants in plasma and aortas of apolipoprotein E-knockout mice. Journal of Lipid Research, 1999, 40: 1104-1112.
- P. K.Witting, K. Pettersson, A.-M. Lindquvist, C. Westerlund, A. Westin Eriksson and R. Stocker:
Inhibition by a coantioxidant of aortic lipid peroxidation and atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E and low density lipoprotein receptor gene double knockout mice.
The FASEB Journal, New York, 1999, 13: 667-675.
- M. Samloff, J. I. Rotter and A. W. Eriksson, editors:
Pepsinogens in Man: Clinical and Genetic Advances.
Kreuning, A. R. Liss, Inc., New York, 1985, pp. 213-220.