Biography of Heinrich Braun
Heinrich Braun studied in Giessen, Berlin, and Heidelberg, with Konrad Eckhard (1822-1886), Gustav Simon (1824-1876) and Vincenz Czerny (1842-1916) as his teachers. He received his doctorate on February 6, 1872. From the autumn of 1871 to Easter of 1874 he was at first prosector at the anatomical and assistant at the physiological institute in Giessen; from autumn of 1874 to autumn of 1879 assistant physician at the stationary surgical clinic, and from then until Easter of 1884 assistant physician at the surgical policlinic in Heidelberg. He was habilitated for anatomy in Giessen in 1873 and for surgery in Heidelberg 1875, becoming professor extraordinary in 1878. From May 1 until October 1 1884 he was director of the surgical department of the General Hospital - Allgemeines Krankenhaus - in Mannheim,. The same year he assumed the chair of surgery in Jena, the following year in Marburg, and 1890 in Königsberg in Prussia. From 1895 until his death on May 12, 1911 Braun was ordinarius in Göttingen.